Tuesday, July 3, 2012

INTERVIEW WITH JERRY PILATO OF DIFFERENT STAGES


An Interview with Jerry Pilato
The newest (and only) producer of plays in Ocean Beach sits down to talk with Kristen Fogle about the new Ocean Beach Playhouse at Electric Ladyland, “Somewhere in Between,” and where the company will go from here.
Kristen Fogle: Tell me a bit about your background in theater.
Jerry Pilato: I studied theatre at University of The Incarnate Word in San Antonio and San Antonio College where I gained valuable experience. In 1982, I gave birth to The Actors Theatre of San Antonio (in Texas), which I managed until 2005. Over the years, I have directed or produced over two hundred productions and won numerous awards with the Alamo Theater Arts Council in San Antonio. Locally, I have directed at The Broadway Theatre in Vista, The Sunshine Brooks Theatre in Oceanside, and at 6th at Penn (Compass Theatre, now ION) in San Diego.
KF: You also currently work with Broadway San Diego.
JP: I have been with BSD since 2005 and am currently the phone room supervisor handling subscription services for three markets in California and one in Tucson. I enjoy this job tremendously, and the people I work with are terrific. Being able to be part of a company that brings so much theatre to town is a great experience.
KF: When did you decide to create Different Stages? Why the name?
JP: This has been my goal since moving to San Diego in 2005, having my own theatrical group. Different Stages was created in 2011 with the idea in mind that I didn’t have a “home” and would be producing at different venues in the county. Our first production opened at The Sunshine Brooks in October 2010 which was “Star on the Door,” and our second, “The Dixie Swim Club,” opened at The AVO Playhouse in Vista in July 2011. Finally, thanks to Paul and Lynne Bolton in Ocean Beach who own Electric Ladyland, Different Stages has a “home” and will be able to have a season of events at the same location. We will be calling the space the Ocean Beach Playhouse. However the name Different Stages can be applied to the progress of a production from play decision to casting to rehearsal to finished product—as in all the different stages involved in theater.
KF: Tell us more about Electric Ladyland.
JP: The space was used as a concert venue and classrooms for the instruction of instrument playing for young people and a meeting place for different types of groups. I believe there were classes and performances of dance, but mostly for concerts, which gave the audience an intimate experience for whatever was on stage. The space does not at this time have stationary seating, which I like. It can also be used as a ‘black box theatre” or theatre in the round—all aspects which I like to dabble in.
KF: Can you talk about the first show of the season?
JP: This is such a sweet comedy. It’s called “Somewhere in Between” by Craig Popsipil. Falling in love…well first finding the person to fall in love with can sometimes be a stressful situation…it can also be like a part time job! (Laughs.) It really doesn’t matter your orientation; it is a chore. In this play, the young man is hopelessly shy and non-pretentious, and he attempts to figure himself and find a lady, hopefully, at the same time. He meets many people along the way who try to give him a reason to drop his guard and well, just…lighten up. Under the strong direction of Kristen Fogle and George Bailey, this is an audience pleaser kind of play and will tickle the funny bone of those in the audience. You and George have put together a fine young cast.
KF: Why thank you! Have you ironed out the upcoming season? Will you have season tickets?
JP: Yes, I have a good line up which is listed on our website www.differentstages.biz. Our first show after “Somewhere in Between” is the revival of “The Dixie Swim Club” which different Stages presented last summer at The AVO Playhouse in Vista. I really like this play and my new cast is a delight. Naomi Olson, president of Oceanside Theatre Company, will be reprising the role of “Lexie.” After that I am looking forward to directing Jonathan Sachs in “Speed the Plow.” I am still waiting approval for the rights to one of David Mamet’s older plays, followed by our Christmas gift to San Diego “The Reindeer Monologues” by Jeff Goode, a R-rated Christmas play. Also, in the new year, we will present “Only Kidding” by Jim Geoghan and “Angry Young Women In Low Rise jeans With High Class Issues” by Matt Morille. In the spring, I am looking at something by the great Tennessee Williams. Late night, beginning in late October, “Vampire Lesbians of Sodom” will hit the stage once the rights have been acquired.
KF: Sounds excellent. I know you're partnering with a lot of businesses in the area…
JP: Yes we are. The local merchants in OB are happy that there will soon be theatrical entertainment in their area. OB is such an eclectic area that this should fit right in. There are many good restaurants and bars so close to the venue that coming down early for a meal or a drink after the show will make an evening to the theatre complete. The excitement about this happening in their “playground” is something that makes me very happy.  
KF: I know you are a big David Mamet fan. Besides his, are there any shows coming up that you're especially interested in seeing...or producing?
JP: All of them. (Laughs.) Although I enjoy directing comedy, I love the drama. There is a new David Mamet play that I hope to obtain rights for in the next few months, and I have plans to produce “If We Are Women” by Joanna Glass in the summer of 2013 and “Taking Sides” by Ronald Harwood will open our 2013-2014 season. Both of these plays are very dear to me. Of course these are plans, as I want to see how well the first season is received. 
KF: Well, lastly, you've done a lot of shows...What's the key to a successful one?
JP: The cast and crew. ‘Nugh said.
For more on Different Stages, please visit www.differentstages.biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment