Tuesday, April 10, 2012

SUESSICAL @ VISTA HIGH


“Seussical the Musical” at Vista High School

Words by Kristen Fogle

I've never seen “Seussical the Musical.” When I tell this to other avid play goers, this is a bit shocking, much like when I reveal I haven't seen “Avenue Q” yet (polar opposite of “Seussical”; yes, I'm aware).

But I'm here now and also reigning in another first. I haven't reviewed a high school show as of yet. In fact, the last high school show I saw was prior to my high school drama days when I was a wide eyed eighth grader... I marveled at my future high school's beautifully executed version of “West Side Story” and couldn't wait for that to be me up there.

X many years later, I still think there's a lot to love about high school theater, and Vista High School (VHS) does not disappoint. Upon entering the Panther Playhouse, one notices, first of all, that the place is sold out. Patrons, which include the very young, elderly, and every age in between, anxiously await; scrolling through the program, in addition to the families and other volunteers, one notices all the businesses in north and south county that support these talented kids' efforts.

As well they should. When the performance starts, I'm instantly captivated by how good these kids are. And not just three or four, like all of them. Praise to every member of the cast, but especially Alecia Scott (as Jo-Jo, her first lead with VHS) with her adorable soprano, making her the perfect Who; Drew Bradford, who charmed as the misunderstood Horton; Nina Preston, whose lovely voice and cute comedy made her a great Gertrude McFuzz; Elise Pardue, who played the soulful Sour Kangaroo; and of course, the energetic, funny front-man Austin Wright, playing The Cat in the Hat.

And these kids can move. Even their curtain call was perfectly coordinated. Choreographer Jackie Weiss really wowed; no doubt these kids had excellent training from her as well as plenty of rehearsing. Kimberly Kim's Musical Direction was really allowed to shine through Weiss' work (aided by the talented Becky Brooks on the piano as well as the other musicians), and Kim's co-direction with Liz Swensen proved to be a successful partnership.

This particular show could also suffer from weak costumes and poor sets, though both were excellent. Donna Dibbins, Diane Faulstick, and Linda Pardue outfitted the cast in the spectacular outfits seen, which included fun, mismatched items for the Whos, slightly saucy chorus girl-esque attire for the birds, and a mess of polka dotted items for the circus performers. The set paintings (which would make the late Seuss proud) were attributed to the visual arts department and Carolyn Thom: interestingly wacky pieces that were both creative and functional at times, such as Horton's treehouse and Jo-Jo's bathtub on wheels.

I am saddened that I witnessed the last weekend of “Seussical” as I think everyone should be privy not only to the exceptional young talent at VHS but to the musical itself. “Seussical,” along with being a mash up of some of the best Seuss books, is a reminder of many things: that every person is important, thoughts are powerful, all things are possible, and that no matter the situation, we should count ourselves truly lucky. If we remember these things, Oh the places we will go.

For more information on Vista High's upcoming performances, please visit www.pantherpartners.org

No comments:

Post a Comment