Monday, January 9, 2012

CATS @ CIVIC THEATRE--CAST MEMBER INTERVIEW




CATS Comes to the Civic: Cast Member Interview

Words by Kristen Fogle

The Cats are upon us. CATS, which comes to the Civic Theatre via Broadway San Diego January 11-15, is a favorite, and many people have seen the Andrew Lloyd Webber, award winning musical (in its 30th year) more than once. What many people have not experienced, however, is a word from the cats themselves. Elizabeth Ruff, who plays Jellylorum, was kind enough to give us some facts about being a feline: for instance, she dishes out information about rehearsal and night-of behind the scenes, including some of the pranks those pesky kitties pull on one another.



Kristen Fogle: Can you explain what the rehearsal process for this show entailed? How was it similar to or different from other shows you have performed in the past?


Elizabeth Ruff: I was originally hired in the role of the female vocal swing. I understudied the roles of Jellylorum, Grizabella, and Jennyanydots. I would perform the roles if the playing company member was not able to for whatever reason. During all other shows I was to sing vocal back up in the booth with the band. The show is very demanding physically and vocally. It's nice for the playing company members to have a little vocal support. I had never been a swing role before, so the rehearsal process was very different for me. I learned those three roles by watching the playing company perform and learning them. If there was space on the side of the rehearsal studio, the other swings and I would perform the dancing and blocking to our best abilities as the cast was rehearsing. Our conductor and assistant director would work with us individually if their services were not needed with the rest of the cast.


A few days before we opened the show, some roles were switched around, and I was given the role of Jellylorum in the playing company. The day before we had an audience for preview was the first time I ever went on stage and performed the role in any way. It was nerve racking. But the cast was so supportive and helpful that the show went very smoothly. So, this was definitely a different rehearsal process for me…and sooo much fun!


KF: How grueling, but congratulations! Besides perhaps this one, what has been your favorite role to date?


ER: I have played so many different and wonderful roles. “West Side Story” is my favorite musical, and I have been lucky enough to play the role of Maria twice. But, I absolutely loved playing Kate/Lilli Vanessi in “Kiss Me Kate.” Her sass and spunk mixed with her deep and vulnerable true feelings really gave me a lot to play with as an actress.

KF: Are there any original cast members or touring members now that particularly inspire?



ER: OH YES! Everyone in this cast! I have never been in such a phenomenally talented show with such warm hearts and down to earth personalities. Everyone is so perfect for their roles. I was most concerned about my cat acting skills. Those were ones that my teachers had skipped over in college. [Laughs.] Though I have played a dog twice. The members of the cast that I love watching the most as a feline are Jordan (Victoria), Brad (Tumblebrutus), Ashley (Bombalurina), and Jamie (Alonzo). These four each have such different ways of embracing their inner felinity. They are all so expressive and have such unique kitty personalities. You really believe they are cats.



KF: What about particular musical numbers, pieces of choreography, or themes from this show—any of those that particularly resonate with you?



ER: Every moment of this show is so special. I have never been a part of a musical that allows its actors to be so creative and interactive with one another in special ways. We have so much fun on stage. Being cats really allows us to be playful and get to know each other in some pretty remarkable ways. But, there is one particular moment every night that really gets me. After Grizabella sings “Memory” and the cats all choose her to go to the Heavy Side Layer. We sing "up, up, up," and there is one particular chord where we say "Rang Vivat!" and all raise our arms to the moon as Grizabella is lifted in the pod. Every night, this moment makes me think I am the luckiest person on earth. It is my favorite moment!



KF: Any practical jokers or backstage mishaps during this tour?



ER: We do like to play games with one another, such as trying to unsnap each other’s tails. A lot of us always have to dance the “Macavity” song backstage. It is just so sexy. In San Jose, we had a full dress rehearsal before we opened. At the end of the show, during my favorite part when the pod is lowered for Grizabella and we are singing, ready for the big dramatic moment, we looked up and noticed a blown up snowman in the pod as it was being lowered. Everyone in the cast started cracking up. We play little jokes on one another such as that.



KF: To keep in shape for the physical demands of the show, what health, fitness, and dietary restrictions or regimens do you perform?



ER: I worked out a lot before rehearsals started. I was taking spinning classes and total body conditioning, as well as Zumba almost every day. Now that we are in show mode, a lot of us like to go running and lift a little if our hotels have fitness centers. The show itself is a great workout. As far as diet is concerned, I try to make the healthy choices by having salads rather than pizza. My role is not one of the heavy dancing roles, so I have to be more conscious than other members about what I eat. But, I am not a freak about it. Everything is OK in proportion. You just have to know your body.



KF: Speaking of demands, the makeup for the show is extensive and costuming is quite impressive. What does that process consist of—and how long does it take—before performances?



ER: Most members of the cast get to the theatre about two to two and a half hours before the show’s start. As girls we have to braid our hair for the wigs; then we apply our makeup. It takes most of us about 30-45 minutes. We are all very particular about making ourselves look as good as possible. After that we usually have a physical warm up as the cast, sometimes we have to do a sound check, and those doing lifts in the show always have to practice. We then start getting in costume and heading to the wig room. After I am fully in costume and makeup, I always do a vocal warm up as well. By this time it's usually five to ten minutes before the show opens. We have a lot of fun in the dressing rooms. We laugh and poke fun at one another a lot. [Cast member] Ashley Chasteen has a cat toy that is a mouse that squeals and zooms all over the place. She'll turn it on before the show. I feel like it gets me in touch with my cat side.



KF: Why should people come see CATS as opposed to another great musical out there?



ER: It is an experience you will never have in any other musical. It is, in my opinion, the most demanding musical ever written. You have to come not only to see people dressed like cats. Which yes, is very funny. But, also the amount of talent that is required to perform this show is like none other. The music, the poetry, and choreography are unforgettable. And believe it or not, pretending to be a cat is not that easy! There is never a moment in this show that this cast is not giving their all. I understand the show is different and doesn't have a normal plot line, which can sometimes throw people for a loop. But if you just walk in with an open mind, there is a magic that cannot be compared by any other musical.



KF: Anything else you would like to say about the show?



ER: Here is a good example as to why this show is special. I grew up with three younger brothers—all of which are buff, athletic jocks. They have been going to my shows all their lives. Normally, I am greeted after the performance with a quick hug and "Good job." When my youngest brother came and saw the show with my parents and grandparents, Nick would not stop singing the songs. I would catch him humming around the house. He was so interested in the cast and secrets of backstage. My friend Chaz who plays Mr. Mistofelles noticed my sports playing brother in the audience, not knowing at the time he was my brother, and tied some ribbons around his neck at the end of the show. Chaz says his smile was from ear to ear. There is something wonderful about these Jellicle cats.

For more on CATS, please visit http://www.broadwaysd.com/.

CATS
Broadway San Diego
The Civic Theatre
1100 3rd Avenue San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 570-1100


To see the original post, please visit http://sdtheatrereviews.com/arts.php?newsId=255

No comments:

Post a Comment